Granite is a naturally beautiful stone that radiates throughout your home. But whether you have granite in your kitchen, bathroom, staircase, or floor, it’s bound to get dirty from time to time. The stones don’t wear easily, so returning the sparkle to your granite is as easy as wiping it down with a simple cleaning solution. Here are our tips for polishing the granite around your home:
PH Neutral Soap
The simplest way to routinely clean your granite is by making a soap solution by diluting dish detergent with warm water. Wipe the surface with a rag or towel dipped in the solution and work your way across the stone countertops using circular motions to ensure an even polish.
Ammonia Or Bleach
You can also make a cleaning solution with a small amount of ammonia or bleach and warm water. Ammonia is better because its basic rather than acidic, which is less likely to cause long-term damage to the stone. CAUTION: Never mix them together—combining ammonia and bleach produces a deadly toxic gas.
Talcum Powder / Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)
Porous and/or untreated stone can acquire stains over time. The best way to remove oily or fatty stains from your stone is to liberally apply talcum powder or a mixture of baking soda and water and leave for a few days. These chemicals will draw out the oils in the stain and allow you to wipe them off with a cloth.
Acetone / Mineral Alcohol
Other persistent stains can come from paints and inks. To remove paint and ink stains from your granite countertop without scratching or scrubbing the stone, use acetone or mineral alcohol. Wearing gloves, make a diluted solution with warm water, and rub off the stain with a cloth.
Now that you cleaned your granite, you want to make it shine as brightly as possible. Some household polishing solutions include salt water, glass cleaner, and floor wax.
Get exact quote on your new kitchen countertop in just 30 seconds online
- Get final installed price, no hidden fees.
- Largest selection of Quartz, Marble and Granite countertops in Chicago. Over 14,000 slabs in stock.
- Great customer reviews online.
- High precision laser cutting and polishing technology.
- Get your quote emailed to you in 30 seconds
- Get the final price, no hidden fees
- Largest selection of Quartz, Marble and Granite countertops in Chicago with over 14,000 slabs in stock
- Great online customer reviews
- High precision laser cutting and polishing technology
- Get your quote emailed to you in 30 seconds or less